"Our collective history and our individual experiences conspire, all too often, to create in us a fragmented, distorted, or incomplete sense of what it means to be a man. This, in turn, has an immense impact on African American women and children." —George Edmond Smith, M.D.M.Ed.
A happy home-life, a loving relationship, a good feeling about the future, and fulfilling sex—this goal is within the reach of nearly every African American man. Yet millions of black men experience only the pain, frustration, and sense of loss when relationships don't last and families fall apart. Now a prominent black physician offers understanding and practical help to overcome the roadblocks society puts between African American men and the relationships they need.
A book of major importance, MORE THAN SEX challenges society's myths about the sexuality of African American men, and offers dramatic evidence that these widely accepted stereotypes lie behind a host of personal and relationship problems for black men and women. Drawing on real case histories and a candid assessment of his own life, Dr. George Edmond Smith shows how negative images of black men as animalistic and sexually-focused beings has eroded the essential foundation for loving relationships—intimacy. Then he addresses the most urgent concerns of black men today, and of the women who love them.
Packed with eye-opening information and sensible advice, MORE THAN SEX provides a history-making look at the emotional and social components of black male sexuality. It takes on tough problems about sex and love and answers difficult questions about alcohol, drugs, promiscuity, and emotional health. The result is a book that can change lives...and, one man at a time, change our world.
George Edmond Smith, M.D. M.Ed., is a Board Certified Family Practice physician in the Greater Philadelphia area. He is also Assistant Professor of Medicine at Hahnenmann School of Medicine in Philadelphia.
A Prominent Physician
Shows African American Men And Women
How To Go Beyond Society's Myths To Create
Strong, Satisfying Relationships That Last.
- What specific stereotypes sabotage relationships between black men and women...and how to spot them
- Why sex doesn't live up to black men or women's fantasies...or fill their most intimate needs
- What anger and abuse in a sexual relationship mean...and how to change hurtful behavior, before it ruins your life
- How sex, money and status can drive black couples apart...and keep black men from knowing their true self-worth
- What to do about sexual problems, the best kept secret of black men...it's easier than you think
- What black women want from black men...and what black men need from black women
- How to master the basics of intimate communication...and stop fighting—a must-read for black women
- How to give sons a positive role model for sex and what it really means to be a man
A Breakthrough Book—The First Of Its Kind To Explore The Sexuality Of Black Men