Enjoy Ruby’s famous yeast rolls from The Brightest Star!
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 cup water (105-115 degrees)
- 2 packages of any active dry yeast
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Place milk in a small saucepan and bring it to a light boil. Remove from heat, then add the sugar, the butter, and the salt. Let this cool to a lukewarm temperature, about 110-115 degrees.
- Combine the warm water and the yeast. Allow this to sit a few minutes.
- Pour the yeast mixture in whatever kind of mixing bowl you have for an electric mixer. Add milk mixture, eggs, and 2 cups of the flour. Beat with a paddle attachment until mixed.
- Beat in the remaining 2 1/2 cups of flour.
- Knead the dough with a dough hook on your electric mixer. You may knead the dough on a lightly floured surface. Beat on low speed 5-10 minutes.
- Place dough in a medium-sized buttered bowl, turning the dough through the butter, allowing the dough to get the butter on all areas. Cover the bowl with a tea towel or plastic wrap. Place bowl in warm area and allow the dough to rise for 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down, then divide into balls about 2–3 tablespoons each. Place the balls of dough in a 9-by-13 greased pan. Cover and let this rise for one more hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned. Brush melted butter on top of rolls before serving.
A special treat to warm your heart, just in time for the holidays—a sparkling new novel from New York Times bestselling author Fern Michaels. . . .
Christmas is more than just a celebration for Lauren Montgomery. For generations, it’s been her family’s livelihood. Their Christmas shop, Razzle Dazzle Décor, has seen seasonal fads come and go, but there’s one trend they can’t escape. Online superstores are swallowing their sales, and this Christmas season will need to be their best ever if the store is to stay in business.
To help keep the shop afloat, Lauren also has a sideline, writing biographies for business figures. She’s thrilled when her literary agent contacts her with a new proposal—before learning that the subject will be none other than John Gerald Giompalo. He’s the titan behind Globalgoods.com, the online retailer that has spelled doom for hundreds of small businesses just like Razzle Dazzle Décor. Despite her misgivings, Lauren travels to Seattle to confer with the mogul, and is caught off guard when his son, John Jr., attends the meeting too. Handsome, intelligent, and deeply kind, he’s perfect—apart from the fact that he’s part of the company threatening everything Lauren loves.
As her deadline, and Christmas, draw closer, Lauren knows that there’s more than her family’s shop at stake. Her heart is, too. But there’s no better time than the holidays to make a secret wish on the brightest star you see—and let the season’s magic take hold…