South Bay High’s Jayd Jackson finally has her own ride, but that sure doesn’t mean her troubles are over...
These days, Jayd just can’t seem to get a break. Her car is more trouble than it’s worth; her girl Mickey is being forced to attend continuation school; and Rah and his ex Sandy are still arguing.
Despite these distractions, Jayd concentrates on making potions for hair and developing her own signature braid technique, which is getting her a lot of respect and money. But then school starts up again, and with it comes more drama. If Jayd wants to keep it all under control, she’ll have to look deep into herself and take her destiny into her own hands...
1. If you were Jayd would you get close to Rahima? Why or
2. Do you think it was fair of the school to ask Mickey to
leave until after the baby’s born? Would you have done
the same thing as Mickey?
3. Is Misty justified in her anger toward Mickey and Jayd?
Do you think she’s been given a bad rap as she claims?
4. Should Nigel be asked to leave the school too? Do you
think guys have it easier than girls in these situations in
5. Was Jayd ungrateful to her dad about her gift? Would
you have reacted the same way?
6. If you were Nellie would you still be friends with Laura
after all she’s done to you? Do you know of cliques like
this? How do they work?
7. Write your own petition asking for what you want and
don’t want out of your current situation. Be honest, thoughtful,
and most important, be positive.
8. Do you think Esmeralda, Misty, and Misty’s mother have
a genuine relationship? Do you think it’s beneficial for
Misty to have Esmeralda in her life as a mentor and
grandmother figure? Explain.
9. Did Rah do the right thing by asking Jayd to stand up
with him in front of the judge? Did he go about it righteously,
or could he have done it a little differently?
10. Was Jayd justified in her initial reaction to Rah’s request?
What would you have done?
11. How is Jeremy’s Christmas gift to Jayd different in intention
from the other expensive gifts he’s bought her
in the past? Should Jayd have accepted it? Why or why
12. Do you think Nellie will ever go back to hanging with
Jayd and her crew? If you were Jayd could you forgive
13. Is Mickey to blame for the shooting? What steps could
she have taken to keep this tragedy from occurring?
14. Should Jayd forgive Mickey for what she’s done? How
would you react if one of your best friends were shot?
15. Do you think Jeremy’s till trying to buy Jayd’s affection
with expensive gifts? Do you think Jayd should accept
the gifts or give them back?
16. Have you opened a bank account? Do you have a savings
account? Like Jayd, do most of your friends hide
their money rather than put it in the bank?
17. If you were Jayd, would you have kept her car or have
done what she did? Explain an alternate reaction she